Thursday, February 17, 2011

Reflection 2/17/10

We're doing our show in this format: 7 minutes of show, one 30 second commercial, 7 minutes of show, one 15 second commercial, and 7 more minutes of show. We're going to actually be selling these shows to people... but what if they're not buying? Do we have to come up with a new concept? Do we do it for free for the sake of the project? The line between class and a legitimate internship is becoming very blurred!!

Regardless, I can see roughly what our interview show is going to look like. I can see it being like something that would take place on the Food Network, like one of those shows that goes around to locally famous restaurants and gives them airtime. We'd get some footage of the place, of ourselves entering the place, sampling, interacting with employees, etc. It would start with that, probably with some sort of voiceover about the place giving some backstory. Then, we would also film several interviews to insert into our show in between the "action." I could see it looking really great! It's going to be so much fun to edit.

While talking prices, I can't help but be pessimistic about the $2500 mark ($500 per 15 second commercial, etc.). As soon as I got to Loyola, I got a job at WLOY and I worked in the Business Department (I have since moved to Production). But I was in charge of contacting local businesses (pretty much all over Baltimore) to sell advertising spots. We had several different options, but the ones that involved commercials were very particular. The Grey Package is $250, includes a limited amount of 15 second mentions, a spot on our website, and participation in our Loyal Listener Card, among other things. The Green Package is $500, which is the same as the Grey Package but everything is just about doubled. I had a VERY tough time getting any money out of businesses around here even with all of these perks, and that's from the position of an established, up-and-running organization that they're all familiar with. Based on my experience in ad sales, I really don't see these places purchasing advertising from a group of four barely trained college students who aren't affiliated with any organization and who can't guarantee any legitimate television airtime. I don't know... I'd be surprised if they went for that, and I'd be happy if they went for that, but I'm not optimistic. Sorry, Doc Chris! I'll believe it when I see it ;).

Then we learned the basics of Final Cut Pro. I was really excited to learn this program, and it's not much different from the audio editing programs with which I am very familiar. In fact, everything basically works the same way, just with the addition of the video. I love editing programs, so this was really fun for me. I'm excited to actually begin using it for our own videos. Dr. Dunmore was very effective in his lesson. I picked up everything quickly, and I know it's going to stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment