Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Reflection: Greycomm Film Festival

So, yesterday I attended the Greycomm Film Festival in order to accumulate a few more intern hours, but I ended up becoming pretty interested in the films shown. I knew a few of the people who had submitted entries, and it was obvious that some films were better than others, though I admire all of the participants for entering! I really liked Eric Weinstein's "long shot" music video for "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. It was really well choreographed and put together. I also was pretty intrigued by Tim Teeling's short documentary. The acting and story line could obviously use some work (sorry, Tim! :) ) but what really drew me in was the production value. Of all of the short films, music videos, and commercials that were shown, Tim's was definitely aesthetically closest to something you would see on television already. You could tell that he really put a lot of work into it. Some of them were kind of there for a laugh, like the Poker Face video, which I didn't find too inspiring, but the guy saying "p-p-p-poker face" was pretty hilarious. I found it kind of odd that [the lead from A Cool Stick whose name I can't remember] had an entry in the contest, since he graduated about three years ago. Regardless, his entry was really well shot and was really original. Finally, I really enjoyed Stephen Celano's entries. His documentary-type film about being a filmmaker was really well put together. I liked the transitions he used, with one shot often running into or becoming another. And his experiments with special effects and graphics are obviously working to his favor. Overall, I thought it was a pretty good show.

No comments:

Post a Comment